Skip to main content

None of this is legal advice

Hi you!

Having perused a few internet memes about lawyers in India, I've also noticed that friends and family treat lawyers like a family doctor, they forget that we have specialisations too and we usually have no clue at all about other types of law that we don't practice.

How many times have you said/heard "No, uncle, I cannot help your neighbour's driver with his divorce, I am a transactions attorney. Also, please stop forwarding that whatsapp spam about the government amending Section 233 of the IPC to give women the supreme right to kill, nobody has the right to kill anyone, that section is about punishment for making counterfeit coins."

Legal literature in India is not easily accessible to non-lawyers. Which is bonkers. How are people expected to follow the law if they don't understand the law? Happily one uncle said off "Ignorance of the law is not an excuse." Did that guy know that India would turn out to have the most ridiculously complex system of laws in the world?  

Anyway, with this blog, I am hoping to write short essays to simplify certain common laws and  concepts that I think would help people easily understand the legal system that they live in. I will also be inviting other lawyers to contribute to topics that they have expertise in.

At this juncture, I should probably mention that I am a qualified lawyer but none of the posts mentioned in this blog are to be construed as legal advice. This is just a hobby of mine. If you have any lawyer friends, you would notice that the first words out of their mouths whenever you ask them anything legal would be some variation of "actually, it depends". Its because we don't want to be sued. Which is why we deflect all responsibility and load up any and all advice with several riders, disclaimers, and qualifications. Some variation of this will appear in every post on this blog.

So please don't take decisions on legal matters without consulting an actual lawyer who will tailor the advice meant for you based on the specific set of facts of your situation. Its much cheaper to pay a lawyer to help you avoid any legal disputes in the future instead of paying a lawyer to help resolve one.

I will attempt to update this blog every week and if I don't succeed, I will return and edit this post and you will never know.

That's all for now. Okbai.

Comments